Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cafeteria Conversations

While sitting in the cafeteria at my college today, I eavesdropped on two (and eventually three) 20-something male college students. I made note of this conversation because of the assumption and stereotype that it is mostly girls that sit around and "gossip." After working in a male dominated field for nearly four years, and earning a degree in a predominately male profession I have come to understand that in many ways, men "gossip" more then their female counterparts.

"I just think she wants to be friends with him because they are both like 'outsiders.' Although all of us are different in our writing and poems, they are really outsiders, sometimes I don't think they are like as deep as the rest of us." Said one 20-something college kid to his friend.

"I've never really met her, I guess she might be smart but she seems really......I don't know young or naive?" Said the second 20-something college student.

"Yea I guess what happens, happens with that." Said the the first 20-something college student.

At this point, 20-something college student two decided to read some sort of short story or 'new age' poem to his friend. Upon finishing he stated:

"At this point in my writing I just feel like, I can't go any further. I need to get out of the box and go to Canada or something so I can write more, from personal experience."

Based on the limited conversation I eavesdropped on, both these young men seemed to regard themselves as more "deep" or spiritual, at the very least different from the other bee- bonging college guys in the room. In reality, they were no better and certainly not different.

No comments:

Post a Comment